Welcome to Year 3CS.
Thankyou for visiting our class page. In Year 3 we love to learn and we're always trying to make learning as fun as possible.
This term we will be studying the Ancient Egyptians. We will investigate what rituals and beliefs influenced life in Ancient Egypt and try to answer some key questions.
-Why did the Egyptians mummify the dead?
-Why and how were the pyramids built?
-What difference was there between the lives of the very rich and the very poor in Ancient Egypt?
Along the way we will create some canopic jars, build a shaduf and produce lots of interesting writing.
The library and the internet provide a wealth of information about this topic so please spend some time learning together if you get the chance. It will definitely further their understanding of this fantastic subject.
Please don't hesitate to come and see us if you have any queries.
Mr Silk and Mrs Reynolds-Smith
In English we will be writing a news reports, a biography, fables, poetry, narratives using a novel as a theme and other fictional creations.
Pupils will be taught to:
Plan their writing by:
- discussing writing similar to that which they are planning to write in order to understand and learn from its structure, vocabulary and grammar
- discussing and recording idea
Draft and write by
- composing and rehearsing sentences orally (including dialogue), progressively building a varied and rich vocabulary and an increasing range of sentence structure
- organising paragraphs around a theme
- in narratives, creating settings, characters and plot
- in non-narrative material, using simple organisational devices [for example, headings and sub-headings]
Evaluate and edit by:
- assessing the effectiveness of their own and others’ writing and suggesting improvement
- proposing changes to grammar and vocabulary to improve consistency, including the accurate use of pronouns in sentences
- proofread for spelling and punctuation errors
- read their own writing aloud to a group or the whole class, using appropriate intonation and controlling the tone and volume so that the meaning is clear
Grammar will also be an important focus this year. Children will be learning how to use conjunctions such as, when, if, because, although. They will also be learning about pronouns, commas, apostrophes, and, speech marks.
Handwriting expectations remain high, for further information please see our Penpals support for handwriting, on this page.
Children are expected to listen to and discuss a range of texts including, fiction, poetry, plays, non-fiction and reference books or textbooks. They will be using dictionaries to check the meaning of words. Additionally, children will be preparing poems and play scripts to read aloud and to perform, showing understanding through intonation, tone, volume and action. We will be discussing words and phrases that capture the reader’s interest and imagination.
We expect children to read daily and record which pages and books in their reading logs.
We understand that going into the juniors can be big transition for children, our aim is to ‘Inspire, Believe, Achieve!’ we wish for all children to feel happy and safe in school, please, if there is anything that you need to know or you have any worries or concerns about your child, or school life in general then please don't hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for your continued support.
Mr Silk (Class Teacher) and Mrs Reynolds-Smith (Teaching Assistant)
Do you have any ideas for this page? Why not let your teacher know!