Welcome all to Year 5 - Summer.
Summer term already! I hope everyone is well rested and ready for the term ahead. We have lots of learning to complete in all subjects and by continuing to work on growing our brains and developing new skills - I am confident we will all have a successful summer term. Keep up to date with our class by following us on Twitter @firsprimarysale #Year5DT
I will attach our newsletter with full details below, but curriculum highlights this term include:
- Multiply proper fractions and mixed numbers by whole numbers, supported by materials and diagrams.
- Compare and order fractions whose denominators are all multiples of the same number.
Place Value and Written methods
- Solve problems involving multiplication and division, including using their knowledge of factors and multiples, squares and cubes.
- Solve problems involving addition, subtraction, multiplication and division and a combination of these, including understanding the meaning of the equals sign.
- Practise being able to order and compare numbers to at least 1,000,000 and determine the value of each digit.
- Solve number problems and practical problems that involve rounding, Roman numerals and negative numbers.
Measures, Geometry and Statistics
- Convert between different units of metric measure.
- Solve problems involving converting between units of time.
- Estimate and identify angles around a point and on a straight line.
- Identify, describe and represent the position of a shape following a reflection or translation.
- Estimate volume and capacity.
- Draw given angles, and measure them in degrees (°)
- Letter writing, looking at form style and content. Read a range of stories, exploring structure and language choice.
- Exploring Greek Myths.
- Exploring historical fiction through selected extracts of the book ‘The Boy in The Striped Pyjamas.
- Using short (silent) films to expand vocabulary and encourage expression of emotions.
- Creating a Film, TV or Play script.
- Creating a Newspaper article focusing on use of reported speech and detail of accounts.
- Looking at Syllable poetry including Haikus and Tankas.
- Looking at Narrative Poetry through examination of ‘The Highwayman’.
Our topic this term is Ancient Greece. We will be doing all manner of exciting things including learning about:
- Mapping skills will be developed during this topic with a particular focus on Greece.
- Comparing and contrasting time periods, climates and land use.
- Study of historical events and the features of Greek architecture.
We expect children to read at home on a regular basis in year 5 and keep practising the rapid recall of their times tables up to 12x12. Each week, children will receive a piece of literacy homelearning, a piece of maths homelearning and fifteen spellings to learn. Homelearning is usually given out on a Friday and should be returned no later than Wednesday to enable us to mark and feedback.
Thank you for your continued support
Mr Tumilty, Mrs Morgans and Miss Kenneally