Welcome all to Year 5 - Spring.
Welcome back to what I know will be a fun-packed and exciting Spring Term. I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas break and are ready to embrace the challenges ahead in this term. Of course this half term also includes our residential experience to Robinwood, which provides the children with a range of skills and qualities which will be useful for many years to come. Our trip to Robinwood will allow us to continue to fully grow our brains and learn from our wobbles. Don't forget you can track our progress and get a sneak preview of the excitement by following us on Twitter @firsprimarysale.
I will attach our newsletter with full details below, but curriculum highlights this term include:
- Developing mental strategies of addition, subtraction, multiplication.
- Consolidating skills of adding and subtracting 2 and 3 digit numbers.
- Data handling and using units of measure.
- Identifying and ordering fractions.
- Solving number patterns and word problems.
- Practising multiplication and division facts for 2,3,4,5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 times.
- lots of topic-linked learning including Investigating discussion texts and formal debate using the question of ‘Should we fund research into space?’
- Creating a TV News broadcast based on the events of the picture book ‘Tuesday’.
- Researching the features of a persuasive leaflet and, following our residential trip, creating our own leaflet to promote Robinwood activity centre.
Our topic this term is Space. We will be doing all manner of exciting things including learning about:
- The relative distance between the Sun, Earth and Moon.
- Investigating whether the Earth is round.
- The movement and orbit of the Earth.
- Graphs to show the amount of hours of sunlight.
- The phases of the Moon.
- Investigating 'what is gravity.’
We expect children to read at home on a regular basis in year 5 and keep practising the rapid recall of their times tables up to 12x12. Each week, children will receive a piece of literacy homelearning, a piece of maths homelearning and fifteen spellings to learn. Homelearning is usually given out on a Friday and should be returned no later than Wednesday to enable us to mark and feedback.
Thank you for your continued support
Mrs Morgans, Mr Tumilty, Mrs Lawrence & Miss Kenneally